BACA is founded on the belief that it is important for children, youth, and families have affordable access to mental health services. Studies show that most mental health disorders originate in childhood but remain undiagnosed until much later in life. Most people struggle through years of suffering before they seek out services because of issues related to access and availability. Problematically, this delays recovery and worsens symptoms. Mental health problems, if not treated early, can complicate educational and occupational goals and prevent successful and productive integration into society. Even with recent gains in mental health public policy, there is a lack of education about what mental illness is and how to treat it. BACA’s main goal is to provide patients with greater access to outstanding scientific, empathic mental health services, regardless of socio-demographic status. It is unethical to deny children treatment of the devastating effects of mental illness due to their family’s income or economic status. Addressing issues of access to mental health care is timely because of the great advances in our understanding of the brain and clinical interventions that are available today. Despite these enormous scientific gains, a gap still exists in practically applying this knowledge at a level that directly affects our communities. The fact that there is an urgent need combined with the excellent clinical resources means that now is the time, both ethically and scientifically, to bridge this gap in mental health care. Children with mental illness are among the least fortunate members of our society. If we turn a blind eye to the needs of children with mental illness, we prove to be a negligent society. Our investment in their health and productivity is an investment in the future of the world we all live in.
What We've Achieved
- Have grown from one staff member in a 400 square foot clinic to a mutli-site agency with over 35 staff.
- Despite a critical shortage of Child Psychiatrists in the country, have rcruited some of the top physicians because they believe in our mission!
- Have served close to 1,500 families in the Bay Area
- Opened a new clinic in Oakland, CA in May of 2014.
- Continue our fight to revolutionize mental health care for youth!
- To address the lack of intensive services have developed and implemented three different IOP programs as an alternative to hospitalizations.
- Have a generous sliding scale policy, and are working to take all insurances.
- Have established relationships with major universities and public and private schools to coordinate care for our patients.
- Research new treatments and provide outcomes on current treatments.